Holiday Baking kit from McCormick
This holiday season, McCormick has partnered up with Kim Ima, a cookie expert and author of the new The Treats Truck Baking Book, to provide recipes for the most delicious cookies for the holidays. Take a look at one of Kim's recipes below, and read our full review here.
Nutty Oatmeal Ginger Cookie Sandwiches
A twist on the traditional, these sandwich cookies combine a crunchy, nutmeg-flavored oatmeal base with a smooth ginger buttercream filling for a holiday treat.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 12 – 14 minutes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Ground Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Ginger Buttercream Filling (2 Cups):
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Ground Ginger 1 teaspoon McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing until fully incorporated. Mix in the oats and pecans.
- Use a spoon or ice cream scooper to scoop up balls of dough. Place them about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden at the edges.
- To make filling, in a bowl or standing mixer, cream the butter. Add the confectioner’s sugar a couple of cups at a time, mixing well as you go. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy. Add the ginger and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.
- After the cookies have cooled, spread a layer of filling on the underside of a cookie, using a knife, a small offset spatula or a piping bag. Top with another cookie.
Makes 1 dozen or 12 (1 sandwich) servings.
One lucky Mom Central reader will win a holiday baking kit from McCormick containing spices and a copy of Kim Ima's The Treats Truck Baking Book. To enter, leave a comment below by Wednesday, December 28 and tell us what kind of holiday cookie you look forward to baking every year. The winner will be selected randomly and notified by email.
Disclosure: Mom Central received a set of spices and a copy of The Treats Truck Baking Book courtesy of McCormick to facilitate this review and giveaway.