Delicious Summer Berry Trifle
While I’ve quite the sweet tooth, cake doesn’t thrill me. My fork navigates around the cake, scooping up the frosting and whipped topping instead. When my summer birthday comes around, I instead request a mixture of all of my favorites: berries, whipped topping, pudding, and angel food cake. Combined into a trifle bowl, I blow out the candles on a towering, layered creation.
While it’s become my birthday special, this trifle makes a wonderful dessert for summer entertaining of any kind. Refreshing, seasonal, and surprisingly simple, throw this dessert together in a pinch to add a delicious and decorative touch to any spread. Skeptical of the simplicity? Take comfort in the fact that my 12-year-old sister has taken on the role of whipping up this layered berry treat every year.
Not only does this trifle change up traditional dessert routines, it also removes the guilt that inadvertently accompanies chocolate cakes, brownies and cookies. Made from light ingredients and fresh fruit, your sweet tooth’s summer satisfaction doesn’t need to set back your diet.
I love that trifles allow for creativity. Without exact instructions, this dessert gives you the freedom to try something new every time. Mix up the recipe below to design your own unique variation for any summer celebration.
Summer Berry Trifle
- 1 package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 pints strawberries
- 1 container whipped topping
- 1 prepared angel food cake
- Make instant pudding as directed.
- Spread a thin layer of pudding on the bottom of a large bowl.
- Slice angle food cake and place enough pieces to cover the pudding and create the next layer in the bowl.
- Layer berries on top of the angel food cake.
- Cover the berries with a layer of the whipped topping.
- Continue alternating layers until the bowl is full.
- Serve and enjoy!
Jennifer Collins is an intern at Mom Central.
Photo credit: Paul from freedigitalphotos.net