Stained Glass Heart Cookies for Valentine's Day
Take the opportunity this Valentines Day to spend time baking with your kids. These stained glass cookies provide the perfect way to let the kids help out and make some great treats for friends or family. The center of each cookie contains a hard candy, which melts into “stained glass” when cooking. As for the chewy cookie heart- any sugar cookie recipe will do, but we included a great one for you below.
Kids will love seeing the candy form into a sweet and colorful transparent center after a few minutes in the oven. They can also help roll out the dough and cut the hearts and circles. Share these cookies with loved ones on Valentines Day and they will definitely be a hit!
- 6 cups flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- Hard candies (Jolly Rancher “doubles” work great!)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients and add to butter mixture.
- Roll to desired thickness.
- Cut out shapes making a hole for the stained glass effect.
- Unwrap a Jolly Rancher and place in the center of your cookie
- Bake for about 8 minutes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Let cool on the pan. This step is important because the candy needs to cool and harden up.