Starting off the New Year in Comfort
Ellie Krieger’s Comfort Food Fix cookbook remakes hearty, family favorite meals into healthier and equally delicious dishes Moms can feel good about serving. Krieger herself is a Mom, nutritionist, and host of the Food Network’s Healthy Appetite.
Her cookbook offers 150 recipes for satisfying and warming meals with enhanced nutritional value. The cookbook includes recipes for the usual breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as for everything in between: baked goods, brunch, snacks, salads, appetizers, sides, sandwiches, soups, and desserts, too.
Each recipe offers full nutritional information and a before-and-after comparison between the standard version of the dish and Krieger’s healthier twist. A few great recipes from the book include honey whole-wheat cinnamon raisin bread, chipotle BBQ pulled pork sliders, broccoli-cheddar soup (with nearly 400 fewer calories than the regular version!), honey-crisp oven-fried chicken, and dark chocolate brownies.
Looking at the individual recipe nutrition comparisons, it’s a real pleasure to see the calories and levels of saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium go down, and the amount of fiber increase. These healthier dishes nix the bad stuff and provide more of the nutrients and antioxidants kids and parents alike need on a daily basis.
Krieger’s Comfort Food Fix cookbook contains beautiful full-page illustrations of some of the meals…I only wish there were one for every dish. The introduction of the book also proves useful and informative, with simple “fix factors” and ingredient swaps to make home cooking healthier. Each recipe presents easy-to-follow instructions and a straightforward list of ingredients.
The amazing thing about Krieger’s recipes? With only a few cooking substitutions, the foods retain their vibrant flavor while boasting better nutritional value in every bite. Krieger offers clever cooking instruction to indulge in home-cooked family meals in a healthy way.
Out of the Oven and On the Go
Pyrex offers versatile, reusable glass bakeware – perfect for comfort foods, like Krieger’s Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Shallots. Glass Pyrex bakeware includes baking dishes, casserole dishes, pie plates, and more. The Pyrex Easy Grab Oval Baking Dish works great for breads and casseroles. Also, the Pyrex dish includes non-porous glass to eliminate the absorption of any stains or odors from previous meals. Like all Pyrex products, the Pyrex Easy Grab Oval Baking Dish remains microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe, making the preparing, storing, and cleaning process that much easier!
Pyrex also offers No-Leak Lids glassware ideal for storing your favorite soup or pasta. Krieger’s tasty soups like her Triple French Onion Soup call for a storage container that you can count on to keep your meal fresh and leak free. The Pyrex No-Leak Lids keep food sealed tight, promising no more spills. The product includes vents for microwaving, making it easier and less messy to quickly heat up a yummy meal. In addition, it also comes in a variety of sizes and shapes to accommodate any meal of your choice.
Ellie Krieger’s Comfort Food Fix Recipe for Honey-Crisp Oven-Fried Chicken
- 4 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 4 cups cornflakes cereal
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
2 tablespoons honey
- Place the chicken in a bowl with the buttermilk and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Place the corn flakes in a food processor and process until crumbs form (you should have about 1 cup of crumbs). Transfer to a shallow dish and mix in the paprika, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, shaking off excess buttermilk from the chicken. Discard the remaining buttermilk. Brush each piece of chicken with honey, then dip in the cornflake crumbs, pressing hard so the crumbs adhere to the chicken. Place the coated chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly spray the top of each chicken thigh with cooking spray. Bake until the chicken is crisped and cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes.
Makes 4 servings
Serving size: 1 piece
Per serving: Calories 330; Total Fat 10 g; (Sat Fat 3 g, Mono Fat 3.7 g, Poly Fat 2.3 g); Protein 27 g; Carb 35 g; Fiber 1 g; Cholesterol 85 mg; Sodium 600 mg
Excellent source of: Folate, Iron, Niacin, Protein, Riboflavin, Selenium, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12
Good source of: Phosphorus, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc
Copyright 2011 Ellie Krieger All rights reserved
Disclosure: Mom Central received a sample of Ellie Krieger’s Comfort Food Fix cookbook, as well as samples of Pyrex No-Leak Lids glassware to facilitate this review.