Ways to beat the heat during a staycation
- Visit your public library. Take in story time with your kids, or just curl up and read a book all by yourself!
- Go to the movies. Most theaters have free movies for kids during the summer, usually on Tuesday or Saturday mornings. Even if it's not a free flick, with all the big blockbusters out in the summer, there's likely to be something the whole family will want to watch.
- Visit a museum. You can easily spend hours walking through a museum. Eat at the cafe. Browse the gift shop.
- Visit a nature center. Like a museum, a nature center can captivate children for a long time! There are often special programs during the summer where you can drop kids off for a while.
- Go on a night tour. See what your city has to offer after hours! There may be special nightly tours, either walking or by Segway.
- Play “hotel” with your kids. Pull out the sofa bed, pull up an On Demand movie on TV, and serve them breakfast in bed the next morning. Then switch roles!
- Visit a pottery studio. A studio where you can choose pre-made pottery and paint it for a small fee. There are places like this everywhere!
- Visit a rec center. Your local rec center may offer special programs and classes throughout the summer. There's often an indoor play area, maybe even an indoor pool.
- Go on a road trip around town. Even driving around in your comfortable, air-conditioned car could be an adventure! Drive along a river or ocean for a scenic view, or just check out a new part of the city that you've never visited.
- Go skating. Ice skating would be the perfect antidote for a hot, summer day. Most indoor rinks are open year-round. Roller skating is also fun!
- Visit a spa. A day at the spa may be just what you need to recharge.
Are you staying home this summer? What are you doing to keep your kids busy?